Sunday 4 October 2009

In Which There is a Party


My Aunt (one of many Many Aunts) recently turned 60, and retired, and she decided that a party to celebrate those things would be in order.



As a good neice, I decided to go. There was just one problem. She lives in Northumberland, which is quite a long way away. (about 6 hours drive away) And I don't have much un-booked leave left...



Anyway, much plotting of travel possibilities followed and after spending lots of time on Motorways (mostly I wasn't driving, which was good!) Then after arriving in Hexham, we found the Moot Hall where we were dragooned, like obedient neices (and neices-partner) into blowing up balloons, hanging up streamers, setting out crisps and nuts and generally making ourselves look useful. There was a certain amount of talking going on too...


Several hours, one coffee shop and a pub later, we returned to the hall, dressed in our best and ready to party. We did party. There was much talking, and catching up with all those family members who haven't seen one another recently (I disapprove, for the record, of my 'baby' cousins turning in to virtually grown up people, just becasue I took my eyes of them for a year or two!) There was food, and drink, and silly games. There was dancing, and, later in the evening, there was the part of the evening which involved trying on each others shoes... I suspect I would still have been unable to walk in these, even if they hadn't been a size too small...
Sunday morning wsa dedicated to breakfast, and more family catching up, including meeting the newest member of the family, who is just turning one, and who was remarkably sanguine in the face of a sudden influx of admiring uncles, great-aunts and uncles, cousins and a grandmother.
The afternoon and evening, of course, involved the 6 hour drive home...

3 comments:

Dragonsally said...

...and here I was about to gush over your gorgeous pink shoes!

Marjorie said...

Aren't they fantastic? They belong to my coisin George's girlfriend, Carly (who also had a wonderful black, very fitted jacket with pink highlights. She could walk & dance in them. I, on the other hand, had to cling on to my sister to avoid falling over!

LyleD4D said...

They're certainly pretty spectacular - although the clash with the green dress is eye-singeing.

Mind you, the person in front of you appears to have stolen slippers from my granny.