Saturday 30 January 2016

A visit to Wells, and a glimpse of the past

Although I am not a churchgoer, I love the buildings, and the music, and the poetry of the book of  common prayer. I often pop into the Cathedral when I go to Wells, and last weekend was no different.




In January each year, the cathedral removes all the seats from the Nave, to allow it to be seen in all its uncluttered glory, and to give an idea of what it may have felt like when it was new, back in 1348 when the Scissor Arches were built.



Although of course it would have been much less austere in those days, before the reformation and then the Roundheads whitewashed over or removed all of the frescos and gilding and other decoration.



I was lucky that it was also nearly empty when I went in, so I got the full effect. It's beautiful. 

I'm also looking forward to seeing it soon, on screen, when the BBC screens the second 'Hollow Crown' plays - some parts of Richard III, which stars Benedict Cumberbatch and Judi Dench, among other,  were filmed at Wells, and the cathedral appears (very recognisably) in the trailer which has just been released.

It's an amazing building.