Monday 18 January 2016

Less Exciting Times

I know that if you only know me through this blog, you might think I lead a very exciting life, constantly out at the theatre etc.

I am fortunate that I get to see a lot of good stuff, but it isn't like that all the time, it's just that I tend to assume that people don't really want to hear about the every day stuff, so I normally only blog when something exciting happens!

This past week, and  weekend, for instance, I have been at home, and at work, with nothing of great moment happening. I have seen clients, been to meetings, done laundry and housework.

On Saturday I  met up with the neighbour who lives 1/4 of a mile down the road, and who has agreed that I can keep bees on her land (she owns a big piece of land behind her house, and bordering a couple of fields, which, unlike my garden, is large enough that the bees will be well away from her house, from the main bit of her garden, and from any neighbours) 

Following on from that, I have taken the plunge and have ordered a flat pack hive (which no doubt I will be putting together over the next couple of weekends) and paid a deposit for a nucleus of bees, which I should be able to collect when they are ready, in April of May. 

I've been reading - mostly re-reading some of my favourite Georgette Heyer books, as I have recently unpacked the box they have been in for the past 2 years, and as they are relaxing and require little effort. (although I have discovered that, inexplicably, my copy of 'the Convenient Marriage' seems to be missing, and that my copy of 'Cotillion' has died, and is no longer a book, but simply a collection of individual pages )

I'm also part way through Philippa Gregory's 'The White Queen' which I suspect I bought with the intention of giving it to someone for Christmas, but then forgot about, so now I'm keeping (and reading) it.

I've also been doing a  little bit of non-fiction, around the Plantagenets, and the Wars of the Roses. I do wish that Royal and Aristocratic houses of medieval England had been more considerate of future historians, and used a little more variety in naming their eldest sons, so that it was easier to keep track of *which* Richard, Duke of York is being talked about, for example. . .

Having just seen Richard II I was moved to look up Aumerle, to see whether he was a real, historical character, and whether there was any / much truth in how he was presented by Shakespeare. I was  surprised to learn that not only was he a real person, but he is the same real person who, as the Duke of York, was killed at Agincourt (both in real life and in Shakespeare's play). 

And as well as reading and housework, I've done some cooking (braised beef. Marinaded for 24 hours, then cooked slowly for about 4 hours. It was very nice) and a little tiny bit of gardening, planting out some bulbs between rain showers.

And, following the very sad news of Alan RIckman's death, I also spent some time watching some of his work, and listening to that amazing voice.

Not a thrilling weekend, but restful, and quietly satisfying.

1 comment:

spacedlaw said...

Sounds wonderful (and still much more active than my weekend which ended up as mostly sleeping).