Friday 23 May 2014

I'm Sorry, I Haven't a Clue

As if a weekend which included time with a friend, AND Neil Gaiman, AND Tori Amos, AND Vikings, wasn't enough, this past weekend also included a trip into Bristol to see a performance on the live tour of 'I'm Sorry, I Haven't a Clue'  ISIHAC is one of my favourite radio shows, and I went to live recording several years ago (Long enough ago that it was presented by Humphrey Lyttleton, although I think it may have been his last series) 

When I booked my ticket for the matinee on Saturday, I didn't know about Neil's British Library event, but worked out that I'd have time to get back..which it turned out I did :-)

The show is part of a live tour, not recorded for the radio, which is fun, as it meant there were no re-takes or sound checks.

The show is hosted by Jack Dee, and the team members were Barry Cryer, Tim Brooke-Taylor, Graeme Garden and Jeremy Hardy, with Colin Sell on the piano. The Lovely Samantha, alas, was delayed and unable to attend :) 

Coming into the auditorium, the first thing which I noticed was the kazoo on each seat... (and shortly afterwards, it became clear that the initial response of people offered a free kazoo (or at least, of Radio 4 listeners offered a free kazoo) is to try to use it to play 'Colonel Bogey'!

Once the show started, it ran through all of the  different games we know and love from the radio - Uxbridge Dictionary, Just a Minim, Sound Charades, One Song to the tune of Another (during which we were scolded for laughing at Jeremy 'Music is his Life' Hardy) and, of course, Mornington Crescent. (with some particularly fine plays, I must say!)

It was lots of fun.

And now I have a 'Mornington Crescent' mug. 


No comments: