Monday 2 November 2009

A Chilly Morning

It poured with rain on Sunday. I didn't mind too much, as I was having a fairly lazy day, especially having spent some of saturday trying to do a little pre-winter tidying up in the garden - (although I think possibly I should trim the grass one last time. )

There is something very cosy about sitting inside a warm, dry house listening to the rain and wind outside, and after 3 flood-free years I have almost stopped panicking about the possible consequenses, although my heart goes out to the people in Scotland who faced (much more severe floods than mine ever were) over the weekend. I was expecting another grim, grey, rainy day today.

Instead, I woke this morning to find that there was a chill in the air. It's not truly cold - there was no frost, but it has been so mild until now, that it feels much colder . It was a beautiful clear sunny morning, and even in the last week or so autumn has moved on - many of the trees - the poplars, the horse-chestnuts, and the ornaental cherries are almost completely bare now, and those which are left are every colour between gold and scarlett.

The Virginia Creeper has lost all of its leaves, and the hedges are almost bare, save for the clumps of ivy. Even the fields are losing their green.

Perhaps winter is coming.

No comments: