Tuesday 29 October 2019

Bristol Old Vic - Members Open Day

I currently have membership at Bristol Old Vic theatre, and they recently held a members open day, which involved several short presentations, and the chance to watch a little of a technical rehearsal.

It was interesting - the presentations included one by one of the producers, talking a little about her role, and the Old Vic's role as a regional theatre, which often collaborates with other theatres .

The second was a short play writing workshop, which was very interesting (and applied pretty well to other kids of writing, I think)

After a break for lunch we were then allowed into the auditorium to watch part of a technical rehearsal - The timing wasn't ideal, as we went in at a fairly slow point in the rehearsal, but nevertheless, I found it really interesting, not least to see, the afternoon before the play opened, what was still being worked out! 

Tom Morris, the director, popped up to say hello and explain briefly what was happening.

I wasn't able to stay for the final session, which was about youth engagement.

This was the first open day the theatre has held, and there were a few things which I think they may be able to improve for next time, but I enjoyed it, and was glad I went. And had some interesting conversations with other attendees, too.
foyer



No comments: