Saturday 3 November 2018

Yayoi Kusama at Victoria Miro Gallery

I loved the Kusama exhibition we saw in Toronto, and happened to see that there was going to be a small Kusama exhibit in London, so I naturally booked tickets as soon as they were available - they were free, but had to be booked, and as a result, my friend A and I went, before going to the Dresden Dolls gig.

The exhibit is fairly small.

Image of infinite reflections of spotted paper lanterns
'My Heart is Dancing into the Universe' Infinity Mirror room
There is one infinity mirror room, full of spotted paper lanterns, which cycled through different colours as you walked through the room. 


Then there were three of Kusama's trademark pumpkins, one each in red, green and (my favourite), yellow.


There were also paintings of pumpkins, and of spots. 



Then outside there were three giant flowers, one of which made me think of what triffids might have been like if they were friendly instead of deadly...



And then finally, a wall of paintings.


I rather enjoyed playing with  the reflections of the art, on the big plate glass windows in the gallery.

I'm glad I got to go. The exhibition is on until 21st December.I think all of the tickets are gone but they have been releasing a few extra on specific days, if you're in London and want to try to go.

No comments: