Saturday 2 June 2018

Miss Saigon

When I was a teenager, I, and a small group of my friends used to go to the theatre most weeks, travelling in to Bath by bus, paying for standing room tickets, and then persuading one or other of our parents to take us home, as the last bus went far too early. 

We would occasionally see a musical, but those rarely came to Bath, and while they did come to Bristol, were far more expensive, so my experience of big-budget musicals mostly involved listening to the soundtracks, rather than actually seeing them on stage. 



All of which means that while I was, at one point in my life, pretty much word-perfect on the lyrics of Miss Saigon,  I had eve actually seen it, so when I saw that the touring production was visiting Bristol, I decided to go.

It is a big, polished production, and fills the stage. Including, of course, the famous helicopter scene which i have to admit is very impressive!


Production picture (c) Cameron Macintosh Ltd
I was impressed with the performance of Sooha Kim as Kim, and also that of  Ryan O'Gorman as John - a less showy role, but important, and very well done. 

And of course, the choreography is very slick.

I'm glad I finally got to see it, and realised that I am still pretty much word perfect on all the big numbers! 

2 comments:

Martha said...

I was working in the kitchen of the Drury Lane when that was running. Saw it as a birthday present shortly before I left London and yes it was spectacular. Really happy you finally got to see the whole thing.

What I especially loved however was listening, in the mornings to new chorus rehearsals. What would sound great to me when they began, after 45 minutes of minute precise repetitions became something awesome.

Marjorie said...

Wow, that must have been amazing, and really interesting to hear it gradually come together.