Monday 2 October 2017

Chedworth Roman Villa

This post is a little out of order, but on my trip back from Stratford-on-Avon  after seeing Coriolanus I decided to call in to a small National Trust property, Chedworth Roman Villa.



The site was originally excavated in 1864, and is believed to have been built in around 120AD, and subsequently extended and rebuilt, before being destroyed in the 5th Century.

It's a fairly small site (although is apparently one of the larger Roman Villas in this country) 

There are lots of walls, most about 2' high, marking the various rooms of the villa (Roman brickwork, topped with modern tiles to prevent deterioration) and then a large section of the villa where mosaic floors have been uncovered, in what were the Dining Room and Bath House. 



I gather that there were further excavations this year, uncovering more mosaics, but they have been recovered to avoid damage, so I didn't get to see them!

The villa is in a lovely secluded area, and as I arrived just before it opened, I had it to myself for  little while, before it started to get busier.



There was also an art exhibition taking place while I was visiting, which was fun - lots of sculptures scattered around the grounds.

I particularly enjoyed this hawk, and the shoal of fishes.


Definitely a nice place to visit, and an interesting way to break the journey home.

No comments: