Thursday 16 June 2016

TheThreepenny Opera

On Saturday, I saw The Threepenny Opera at the National Theatre. I've never seen the show before,although I am of course familiar with the song Mack the Knife.

I really enjoyed this production. The theatre's own website promises that it "Contains filthy language and immoral behaviour." and it does.



Rory Kinnear is Captain MacHeath, with Rosalie Craig as Polly Peachum, Peter de Jersey as Police chief 'Tiger' Brown (I kept thinking that he looked familiar, having looked him up when I got home I find he was Cominius in 'Coriolanus' at the Donmar, and Horatio in the David Tennant 'Hamlet', which would explain his familiarity!)



I thoroughly enjoyed the show. The staging is  almost cartoonish, with many props labelled - '"drugs", "loud" (on a megaphone) and so forth. My particular favourite was the newspaper with the huge headline "Mack Does Bad Things".

Rory Kinnear is convincingly amoral and scary, and he also has a surprisingly nice signing voice. 


And Rosalie Craig (Polly Peachum) was hugely impressive, both musically and and as an actor. As indeed were Jamie Beddard (stealing evey scene he was in) and Nick Holder's aimiable but terrifying Peachum.

Definitely worth seeing. I should like to go back and watch it all over again, if I could. 

No comments: