Sunday 17 March 2013

Family and Work and Things

It's been a busy week. We had a Partner's meeting on Wednesday, which means a late night, and one of our partners is retiring, with Friday as her final day in the office, so we have sticky buns and champagne at lunchtime, which I'm not sure amounts to a balanced diet, but which is not bad, as an occasional thing.

Then on Friday night I visited my second cousin, M, who lives about 40 minutes drive from here, for dinner. It was an enjoyable evening - we talked about all sorts of things, travel, and gardening, and the inanity of banks, and I learned about a few things from M which I'd never hear of before -  including the time that Aristotle and Jackie Onassis  gatecrashed a picnic M was attending, and her memories of meeting [Sir] Peter Scott back in 1948, not long after he established Slimbridge.

Saturday was quiet - I have been doing various bits and pieces around the house, and spent an hour listening to the 1st Episode of 'Neverwhere', on Radio 4 - I was concerned that it wouldn't (couldn't) live up to my expectations, but I thought it was excellent - I particularly enjoyed Mr Gaiman's cameo role as The Fop With No Name, and we've still got Benedict Cumberbatch's Angel Islington to look forward to in future episodes...

And I found out on Saturday that Neil Gaiman is coming to Bath, through the machinations of  Topping and Co. Bookshop, in June, which is definitely something to look forward to. (and having checked my diary, it's the same week as I am going to see The Cripple of Inishmaan and Bill Bailey which I think you'll agree is going to be a pretty good week! 

This weekend is that last I've got for about 4 weeks when I'm not doing anything - next week I'm going to London, and then bringing a friend back for a visit, then it is Easter weekend, when I shall be seeing my parents, then the following weekend I'm getting together with my oldest friend and her partner. Lots of good things to look forward to. 

No comments: