Friday 17 February 2012

Life, and Stuff

It's been another long week.  And I think I'm coming down with a cold.
I've been spending some time recently at work taking part in interviewing candidates for a job, which is a little odd - I mean, interviewers are supposed to be real Grown Ups, aren't they? It's oddly disturbing to be taken seriously in the role. It's even worse than applying for a mortgage.

Other than the unexpected being an adult, the week has mostly involved feeling tired.

However, on a more positive note, it has stopped being *quite* so damn cold, and I have been able to line up some treats for the future.

I have booked tickets for the 'National Theatre Live'  production of 'She Stoops to Conquer' which is being broadcast on 29th March (may be different dates outside the UK), and have also booked tickets for Bath Theatre Royal to see live versions of 'The King's Speech' (at the end of this month) and, in April, 'Barefoot in the Park' (starring Maureen Lipman), all of which should be fun.

And much later in the year, I shall be going to the Globe Theatre, in London, to see 'Twelfth Night' featuring Mr Stephen Fry and Mr Mark Rylance - It should be interesting - it's what they describe as an 'Original Practices' production, which means that they aim to use practices (including an all-male cast) available in 1601, with the aim of having authentic music, clothing and so on, as well.

It's a few years since I've been to the Globe - last time was to see Othello, with Eammon Walker at The Moor, and  Tim McInnerny as Othello, in, I think, 2007. That was very good indeed, and I hope this will be, too.

So, lots to look forward to. I also had a lovely e-mail today to say I have been picked to be a 'giver' on World Book Night this year, so I shall have 24 copies of 'Good Omens' to distribute, hopefully to people who don't normally read. I'm planning to see whether any of my clients would like one.

And the Bath Literature Festival is starting soon. I have tickets for Clare Tomalin (on Dickens) Jim Al-Khalili (on the Golden Age of Arabic Science) and Sandi Toksvig, among others. I fear that they may be a certain amount of book-buying coming up in my immediate future... and practically guilt-free, as Independent Booksellers Mr. B's are the festival bookshop this year, so indulging myself will also benefit an indie bookshop!

And last but by no means least, my friend Cheryl and I are going to see Mitch Benn in April!

It's good. It means I have something to look forward to, at least once a fortnight (closer together in some cases) for the next couple of months, and having things to look forward to does help, on the greyest and most miserable of days.

What are you looking forward to?

No comments: