Saturday 30 April 2011

That Wedding

One or two of you may have noticed that there was a wedding yesterday.

I have no particularly strong feelings about it; I don't think that the £5m or so costs of the added police etc. should have been paid by the taxpayers, but beyond that, I'm about as interested as I would be in the wedding of any other couple I don't know.. i.e. I'll glance at the dress if I'm passing (and lets face it, this one was hard to miss) but that's about it.

I have, however, been interested in some of the ways  people have reacted. In particular, I was driving through one of the neighbouring towns and noticed that several of the shops had decorated their windows with flags. . . and in every single case they were still showing the creases from where they'd been folded up.   Is it me? I mean, if you are feeling sufficiently patriotic / in the mood for a party that you go to the trouble of buying and putting up flags, why would you not iron the wretched things, or otherwise make sure they looked reasonable?

It just seems odd, to me. (And several of the shops concerned are ones which usually have well presented windw dressings, so I don't think it is that they were put up by the kind of person who wouldn't notice)

Oh, and the best bits of the whole circus, (the runaway horse, and the cartwheeling verger) can both be seen  here.

I have to admit, I'm also just a little bit proud that my street has shown no flags, no bunting, and no street party. ..

1 comment:

The Beans said...

Still, it must have been quite an eventful day.

-Barb the French Bean