Tuesday 16 April 2019

Wells, and Glastonbury Abbey

A friend of mine, C, is visiting the UK, from the USA, with her daughter, and was staying not far from here, so we arranged to meet up so I could show her around a little.

It didn't start quite as well as I'd hoped, as it turned out that not only was there a road closure on the route to their holiday home, but it seemed that the specific point where it was closed had changed, so none of the diversion signs were correct, which meant that it took me over an hour and a half to do a  40 minute journey...However, when I arrived, and met with C and T, things started to get much better!

Initially, we went to Wells,  where we wandered around the market, and then visited Vicars' Close, and the Cathedral, and briefly visited the Bishop's Palace.     


Bishop's Palace

It was a lovely sunny day, so wandering around the city and the cathedral green was enjoyable, and I think C and T enjoyed, it, too.


The Cathedral, from the Bishop's Palace
After lunch, we then drove to Glastonbury (with a brief stop en route to visit the Hot Fuzz swan, which lives at the police station), where we  visited the Abbey.




I do enjoy visiting the Abbey - all the ruined grandeur, and the tranquility of the site.  


It was a good day, and fun to meet up with friends who I previously only knew online.

No comments: