Friday 12 October 2018

King Lear at the Duke of York's

Just under a year ago, my friend A and I saw Sir Ian McKellen's King Lear, in Chichester, which was incredible. And so when I saw that they were reprising it in London this year, I decided to see it again. (In fairness, I'd go to see McKellen in pretty much anything  he chose to do)

I was curious to see how the production would have been changed, to accommodate  the change from Chichester's small, circular stage, to the Duke of York's larger, more traditional lay out, and how the cast changes would affect the production.


It is still very good. Lear is by turns terrifying and pathetic, as he descends into madness, and this production brings out the black humour in the play.

Edmund's speech about the influence of astrology, for instance, and even Edgar and Gloucester's cliff-top scene both offer laughter as well as  drama (although I could have done without the Fool's fart jokes!) 



The play is, I believe, sold out, except for returns, but it was filmed and broadcast to cinemas, so you may have a chance to catch an 'encore' screening. I'd say if you can, do.

No comments: