Monday 28 May 2018

Public Art, and Architecture (Or, What I did on my holidays, Part 7)

One of the things I liked about Toronto was how much public art there was, and (no doubt because the city is relatively young) how much of it was modern, and playful.


I was very much taken with this sculpture, 'Rising', by Zhang Huan, which is covered with birds (or hands, or birds made of hands) 


There are more birds inside the building, and on the roof, although you don't notice them at first!


This one was outside the courts.


 This butterfly was at Crawford Lake.



These fish were set into the pavement, along with many others, among patterns of maple leaves, laid out as part of the brickwork.



This couple (called - 'Immigrant Family' ) is by Tom Otterness
 

This medallion, not far from the St Lawrence market, commemorates on of the ships used in the 1812 war.


The mural was next to a fire station near the Distillery district.



Both these sculptures were in the distillery district.


Then there were some urban cattle, in the financial district.



A couple of whales (also in the financial district)



The giant model soldiers I only saw from the tram. They weren't far from Fort York, but I don't know whether there were intentionally related to it!


I couldn't find who the artist was, of these playful, slightly Gromit-like dogs, but I liked them!


Then there was the architecture.I liked the shape of this mall, and the old Stock Exchange of Toronto, engulfed in a much bigger, newer building.

Then there was the car in the wall of the CTV building, which should probably count as art rather than architecture...


And of course there was the Art Gallery, and the RMO, both of which you've seen on previous posts.


No comments: