Friday 2 March 2012

Friday at last!

I woke up this morning, about 10 minutes before the alarm went off, and was completely, utterly, convinced that it was Saturday. It was a terrible disappointment to me to realise, a few minutes later, that it was only Friday.

I think it's because it's been a very full week, so at some level I felt I'd already had a week's worth of work, without today!

I've been out of the office a lot - several court hearings, and conferences with Counsel, which has meant a lot of driving. One drive through a cold, foggy morning, another through glorious sunshine. I enjoyed the second. I had to go over the Levels, and saw not only the usual cows, and clouds of starlings, but also a group of 7 or 8 roe deer, bouncing along,  a heron fishing in one of the rhynes, and a Peregrine falcon perched, motionless, on a gatepost.

The downside of all this rushing about was that I wasn't able to go to see the National Theatre Live showing of 'The Comedy of Errors' (starring Lenny Henry) It was on yesterday, and I'd booked a ticket at a cinema in Bristol (as my closest participating cinema, in Bath, had sold out) Unfortunately, I found myself having to go to Taunton during the afternoon, and by the time I had finished, it was 5.30, which meant that the chances of me getting to the cinema in time were slim, and the chances of being able to grab anything to eat first were zero. I decided, reluctantly, that it wasn't practical. I admit that my decision was influences by the fact that I am going to get to see the live version, at the National Theatre, at the end of the month, but realistically I'd have had to make the same choice even if that weren't true.

And at least it meant that I got to have a (relatively) early night.

Tomorrow I'm going to the first of the events I've booked at the Bath Festival of Literature - Alain de Botton, talking about religion and atheism, and later, Claire Tomalin, talking about Dickens. I expect both will be interesting. I hope they will  be. And I should ahve time to pop into the library on my way, to pick up the DVd of 'The King's Speech', so I can compare it to last week's theatre version, and a copy of H.M. Castor's Henry VIII, which I've wanted to read for a while, since hearing Castor speak the BristolCon.

It should be a good weekend.

No comments: