Sunday 13 December 2009

In Which There is Housework

The last week seems to have gone on for a very long time, and I had deliberately made no plans for the weekend, so that I could veg out and do as close to nothing as possible. My plans involved a very long snoozy lie in with the papers, and perhaps a nice hot bath. . . .

The best laid plans....

I slept badly and woke up on saturday morning with a stiff neck & shoulder, which meant I did not, after all, lie in bed reading *sigh*. I did manage the bath, after which I ended up doing lots of house-work type stuff - I should really take Ms Fabulous's advice and find a cleaner, but no luck yet.

I did also go foraging for nettles, with a view to making a chestnut & nettle risotto next weekend, when my frinds J&J, who are vegetarian, will be visiting. I should be able to prepare the nettles and then freeze them, so that I don't have to spend too much time in preparation while they are actually here (My kitchen isn't big enough for social food preparation - it's barely big enough for solo cooking!)

I also did a bunch of cleaning, and re-arranged the furniture in my bedroom, which is something I have been meaning to do for ages but haven't got around to.

It all added up to quite a lot of work, but now I have a nice clean and tidy house, lots of clean laundry and I have now (sunday afternoon) also made and frozen a dessert to take down at Christmas.

I was also delighted to get a call from an old friend who will be in the area, and who is in the area and will be calling by later this afternoon, which is an unexpected pleasure.

4 comments:

Phiala said...

Unexpected visits, and the house is already clean, thus avoiding the otherwise-attendant panic! :)

It sounds like a useful weekend, if not the complete relaxing you originally planned.

I want to hear how the nettles come out!

Anonymous said...

Maybe snoozy lie in can happen next week. Nettles sound like a dish that really sticks to your ribs. Are they tasty?
Best,
Billy Bones

Marjorie said...

Phiala, that did cross my mind, no last minute rushing to look respectable!

I have now prepped the nettles and they are in the freezer for next weekend - they smelled rather like spinach while they were cooking (and wilted down in a similar fashion!) Will report back on how they taste in due course.

spacedlaw said...

Did you get your nettles then?
Ah yes... Scrolling down the comments I see that you did. They do taste a little like spinach (or Swiss Chards but less fleshy) but are a far more exotic ingredient!